You are here

Analysis & Observations of the Issues Impacting Juvenile Justice

Welcome to @Issue360 ! Whether you are a juvenile probation officer, children and youth administrator, social worker, a law enforcement officer, elected official, provider, legislator, student or interested party we trust that you will find this monthly post of interest. Written by treatment professionals, it will analyze and offer commentary on the issues impacting your field today.

“Pedophile” has many negative connotations. Unfortunately, it  implies that a person is destined to have sex with children unless specifically prevented from doing so.  Ironically, it was this belief in the inevitability of re-offense that was central to the establishment of our field’s first... more
Recently, I had lunch with a friend in New York.  As we were walking through the city,  I saw a huge crowd gathered on the sidewalk.  When I approached I saw the original Luke Skywalker, Mark Hamill, signing autographs.  A few days later I wondered, “why are celebrities  so celebrated when my... more
Reports indicate that LGBTQ youth are vastly overrepresented in the juvenile justice system. Although LGBTQ youth comprise 7 to 9 percent of youth generally nationwide, they represent 20 percent of all youth in juvenile justice facilities — including 40 percent of girls in detention facilities (... more
The US House of Representatives recently passed HR1761. The bill amends a Federal statute protecting child pornography victims by closing a loophole that requires the defendant to have specific intent to produce child pornography prior to abusing a child and imposes mandatory sentences (15 years at... more
Risk assessment for sexually abusive youth is not simply aimed at defining a risk level; instead, it is aimed more at developing a deep understanding of the youth upon which to build realistic, appropriate, and meaningful treatment interventions.  We are therefore not only concerned with estimating... more
 "There is no vulnerability without danger.”  Veronique Valliere, Psy.D.Our society blames women (and men) who are sexually assaulted, particularly when their choices leading up to the attack make them, in most minds, “more vulnerable.” Like when they drink too much, or when they go home with a man... more
The internet is vast and constantly growing, however, the majority of daily usage only scratches its surface. Google, Yahoo, and other search engines only index approximately 5% of the data available on the internet. To access the other 95% requires customized digging through individual sites,... more
The Deep Web and the Dark Web are topics of intrigue, particularly since the FBI shut down the Silk Road website in October of 2013.  Many inaccurately use the terms Deep Web and Dark Web interchangeably. However, the Dark Web is only a small portion of the Deep Web. While both the enormous Deep... more
Pornography and Contact Offending
With the proliferation of the internet and mobile devices, pornography has become easily accessible to all age groups.  Because of their developing sexual identity, and because they are more likely either to use pornography uncritically or to consider the depictions of sex in pornography as... more


Subscribe to @Issue360